Identified Governor for CEIAG: Paul Townsley
St. Hugh’s School believes that high quality, objective Careers Education and Guidance can help young people to develop a sense of purpose, raise their aspirations and assist them to progress through learning into and throughout their adult lives. Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance is viewed as an integral part of school life.
The Statutory Guidance: Careers guidance and access for education and training providers (October 2018) is the long term plan to build “a world class careers system that will help young people and adults choose the career that is right for them”. Its aims are as follows:
- All young people in secondary school get a programme of advice and guidance that is stable, structured and delivered by individuals with the right skills and experience.
- All schools and colleges are to achieve the 8 Gatsby benchmarks by 2020:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
Personal guidance – St. Hugh’s School is committed to providing a planned programme of careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) for all students in Years 7-14, in partnership with The Careers and Enterprise Company.
At St. Hugh’s School we aim to provide students with a variety of opportunities and experiences in a range of activities. We aim to provide a range of learning possibilities and specialist visits in order to give pupils opportunities that they may not otherwise experience.
Through Careers Education and Guidance our students will:
- Develop a positive self-image in relation to future learning and work roles, based on an accurate assessment and recording of their abilities and aptitudes.
- Acquire aspiration for their future based on a sound understanding of the range of immediate and lifelong opportunities available through learning and work, and of career progression structures.
- Develop skills to form and implement effective decisions and a reflective approach to learning from experience.
Our careers programme includes employer engagement days, work experience, information and research activities (through the PSHE curriculum), work related learning and individual planning activities. Other focused events, e.g. college taster days, careers fairs, mock-interview days, assemblies and presentations are also provided.
Assessing the Impact of the Programme
Teaching staff are involved in the delivery of the careers programme ensuring that they are able to make the link between curriculum subjects and careers.
All students complete an annual Aspiration survey which is stored and tracked centrally to monitor the development of career maturity. Collecting aspiration data also ensures that the careers programme remains relevant and meaningful for our students and their interests and preferences.
In Year 11, all students complete a ‘What Next’ proforma to inform us of their intended destination. This is updated at the Year 11 Awards Evening in the Autumn Term of Year 12 and is sent to students again in Year 14. This data enables us to monitor our student destinations and the number of students who progress into various Post-16 opportunities. These factors are taken into consideration when reviewing the careers programme.
Collectively, this information is used to monitor the careers programme monthly and update it annually.
Careers Education, Information, Advice & Guidance Policy
You can read and download the latest version of Careers Education, Information, Advice & Guidance Policy (CEIAG) Policy here. https://www.st-hughs.n-lincs.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/CEIAG-Policy-1.docx and Provider access https://www.st-hughs.n-lincs.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Provider-Access-Statement-1.doc
St Hugh's Careers Programme - Key Stage 3
You can read and download the latest version of St Hugh’s Careers programme – Key Stage 3. https://www.st-hughs.n-lincs.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Careers-Programme-NEW-2022-23-website.docx